The Ceasefire Agreement Between Armenia And Azerbaijan Did Not Last Even A Few Minutes

The ceasefire agreement between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh did not last even a few minutes.

The two countries have accused each other of violating the ceasefire agreement, according to foreign news agency AFP.

After 11 hours of talks in Russia, both sides agreed to a ceasefire, but just minutes later, Armenian and Azerbaijani forces blamed new attacks.

Earlier, Armenia and Azerbaijan agreed to establish a ceasefire in the Negro-Karabakh region and meaningful talks after two weeks of fierce fighting.

Hundreds of people have been killed and thousands displaced as a result of the clashes, and there is a risk of large-scale war in the region between regional powers Turkey and Russia.

Read more: Fight for Control of Nagorno-Karabakh

Russia acted as mediator in the talks, and after 11 hours of talks between Armenia and Azerbaijan, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the two sides agreed to a ceasefire on humanitarian grounds from 12 noon on October 10.

However, it was not immediately clear if the decision to immediately establish a ceasefire would be made at 12 noon Moscow time or if it would be carried out according to Negrono-Karabakh local time.

Levorov read out a statement saying that after the ceasefire, mediated by the International Committee of the Red Cross, the two sides would exchange bodies and prisoners, while the two sides took separate concrete steps for a ceasefire. Agreed.

He said that Azerbaijan and Armenia have agreed to start talks for a peaceful solution to the conflict in the region.

He said that Azerbaijan and Armenia were launching meaningful talks aimed at finding a peaceful solution as soon as possible and that Russia, France and the United States would play a mediating role in the talks.

More than 400 people have lost their lives and thousands have been displaced in the fighting in the Negro-Karabakh region of Armenian descent in Azerbaijan.

No decision has been made on the status of Negro-Karabakh since the 1994 ceasefire, and clashes erupted last month in the area, with both sides accusing each other of starting clashes.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, who has repeatedly vowed to retake the broken region, said the talks were a historic opportunity for Armenia.

“We are giving Armenia a chance to find a peaceful solution to the conflict, this is the last chance,” he said.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pishyan said he was ready to resume the peace process under the auspices of international mediators.

Heavy clashes continued on Friday, with both sides confirming more casualties, but Russian President Vladimir Putin later called for a humanitarian ceasefire, announcing a meeting in Moscow.

Read more: Fierce fighting between Azerbaijan and Armenia, more than 240 killed

According to the spokesman of the Armenian Ministry of Defense, despite the talks in Moscow, clashes and fighting continued on Friday.

It should be noted that Negrono-Karabakh is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan, but since the end of the war between the two countries in 1994, it has been governed by locals of Armenian descent.

This is the fiercest battle between Armenia and Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh in recent years, with both countries accusing each other of violence.

Russia has a military base in Armenia but also has good relations with Azerbaijan, which is why Russia has been a central mediator in the conflict.

The region declared independence but was not recognized by any country in the world, including Armenia, and was declared part of Azerbaijan by the international community.

After the start of this conflict, there was a danger of war between the regional powers Russia and Turkey because Russia has a military agreement with Armenia while Azerbaijan has Turkey’s unconditional support.

Hopes for an end to the conflict were raised when Russian President Vladimir Putin invited the two sides to talks in Moscow, and the two countries accepted the invitation and sent their foreign ministers for talks.

Shortly before Putin’s announcement, Russia, the United States and France began working to resolve the tense and protracted conflict in Geneva, but Armenia refused to recognize the talks.

Since the beginning of the conflict, the two sides have accused each other of bombing civilians and targeting religious sites, including in urban areas.

Massive devastation has hit several villages in Arbaijan and the region of Stepan Kurt, with dozens of buildings completely destroyed by the bombing, while Armenia on Thursday targeted the country’s most historic and sacred church in Azerbaijan. Was charged.

The conflict has displaced 140,000 people from Negro-Karabakh, most of them women and children, while hundreds have died.

Armenia says 350 of its soldiers have been killed in the conflict, but Azerbaijan has not released any figures.

Originally published at https://zaviews.blogspot.com.

--

--

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
zaviews

© Official Medium Page || This Page Provides You Relating To Sports,Entertainment,News From All Over The World! For More Visit Our Blog www.zaviews.blogspot.com